30 events have come and gone.
So many memories and it will continue to be a debate for years to come as more WrestleManias occur.
I based these top 5 based on storyline build and the overall presentation with the crowd at the respective event.
It’s my favorite time of the year.
5) Shawn Michaels vs Kurt Angle WrestleMania 21.
This occurred when the brand split meant something. Once in a while, we would get a cross promotional dream matchup. We got that at WrestleMania 21 with Shawn Michaels vs Kurt Angle.
Just some of the spots or sequences that occurred from the Staples Center was awesome to be there live. The ending was the best with Angle sinking in an ankle lock for the win. It is why they call him Mr. WrestleMania.
4) Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit. WrestleMania X-7. WCW out of business, ECW out of business, WWE last man standing. The Astrodome was rocking. 67,925 witnessed the greatest WrestleMania of all time that featured Taker vs Triple H 1 and Rock vs Austin 2. It also featured one of the best technical matches I have ever seen between Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle. This was a dream match for those who are fans of technical wrestlers. it was chain wrestling at it’s best. Although Angle cheated to win, it was still a great contest. You can watch on the WWE network for free in the month of February.
3) Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart WrestleMania 12.
No love lost between Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels but to wrestle for 62 minutes and have the audience’s attention was very impressive. 0 to 0 at the end of 60 minutes. The boyhood dream came true in 1996 for Shawn Michaels. Great teaser with Shawn being in the sharpshooter but not tapping out in the final few seconds.
Great job with Gorilla Monsoon calling for overtime which got Shawn Michaels the win.
2) Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker WrestleMania 25.
He is Mr. WrestleMania. This was the 2nd time that Houston hosted a WrestleMania. (2001, 2009). Mickey Rourke was supposed to wrestle Chris Jericho. The Wrestler movie should have won the Academy Award that year as well. Both of them never occurred. Dive over the top rope by Undertaker, all of the false endings and Shawn Michaels made you believe that he was going to break the streak. The crowd was hot in Houston for what was one of the greatest matches in WrestleMania history. Undertaker won via a Tombstone Piledriver.
Match was so good they did it again at WrestleMania 26 in Phoenix or technically Glendale, Arizona.
1) Ricky Steamboat vs Randy Savage WrestleMania 3.
1987 was a great year for the World Wrestling Federation. 93, 173 wrestling fans were part of history. Hulk Hogan slammed Andre the Giant. However, before that we saw the greatest Intercontinental Championship match in WrestleMania history. Randy Savage practiced with Ricky Steamboat in Florida sequence after sequence.
Nothing special occurred in the contest but the timing and execution of the moves told a story and every move had a meaning. From the cross body to double axe handle on the outside to the eventual body slam countered by Steamboat into a small package, one of the greatest endings ever in a Wrestling contest. Chris Jericho acknowledges in one of his books that they would re-do some of the spots from this contest. Overall, I would love the intercontinental Championship to a) have meaning again and b) should have two individuals to even try and compete with Savage or Steamboat.
I hope you enjoyed my Top 5 greatest matches in WrestleMania history.
Follow me on twitter @chokedoutradio.
Subscribe to podcast on ITunes,
Soundcloud or Podomatic.